Monday 24 April 2017

A Character Advancement System for Hero Kids

In the fall of 2016, I became increasingly curious about what a character advancement system for Hero Kids might look like. This became a slight obsession as I developed version after version. The current iteration at DriveThruRPG was what I settled on.


It presents a complete character advancement system with the following new game concepts:

  • 10 levels of advancement, with characters starting on level 1
  • Awarding experience
  • Level progression rate options
  • Character ranks (novice to master)
  • Character classes (fighter, archer, wizard)
  • Talents (e.g., skill versatility, battle prowess, multi-classing)
  • Feats (e.g., accuracy, critical hit, dodge, disarm, speedy, tumble)
  • Character sheet for tracking level advancement

My goals in creating the system were three-fold: (1) present players with new character options as they complete adventures and advance in levels; (2) keep the ideas accessible and kid-friendly; and, (3) make the system compatible with - i.e., not break - current game mechanics and adventures.

As I write this post, and play catch up in writing about the products I've released, I'm nearly ready to update the advancement system to version 2.  Expect more details in an upcoming post.

No comments:

Post a Comment